Helping people easily create, share, and collaborate on task lists and outlines
Among the new things we are implementing in Checkvist right now, there’s a ‘feature’ rather untypical for us. It’s non-technical and has nothing to do with the code or outlining.
Some people say they like Checkvist and would like to help spreading the word, but at the same time they want to make something out of their effort. That’s all reasonable, hence the experiment: a referral program.
- You can register in our referral program: https://checkvist.com/auth/profile#refca
- Then spread the word among your friends or readers
- Give friends 10% discount on Pro accounts, and get 10% of what they spend on Checkvist. (You can give your 10% to your friends or send them to charity, as you like.)
Fixes, polishing and re-design
But that’s not all, of course. We’re fixing and polishing the tool, non-stop:
- We updated calendar apps integration, so all repeating tasks are also sent to calendar.
- Fixed a bug when a list’s tags were lost on making that list public.
- Fixed some cases with unnecessary expand/collapse control.
- Started toolbar re-design, minimising the number of UI controls and preparing the grounds for more changes (hopefully, in the next update).
Stay with us, tell us what you think, and help make Checkvist a better tool :)
Pause all notifications and other enhancements
This server update aims at a problem we noticed during vacation: too many replies to Checkvist notification emails beginning with “I am currently out of the office…” Not a big a deal may be, but with Checkvist ability to send out instant change notifications, can be quite a noticeable issue for your inbox.
Nevermore. Now you can pause all email notifications in one click. Just check this option on the Notifications page of your profile, that’s it.
All notifications in one dialog window
Another change regarding notifications is unification: we’ve put two notification types under one toolbar control and into one dialog window. Whether you want to send an instant notification about the recent changes, or to configure automatic notifications for this list — use the ‘notifications’ link in the toolbar.
The envelope icon shows whether you have enabled any automatic notifications for this list.
Oh, and if you have paused all notifications, you’ll see a message in the Notifications dialog window, so you don’t forget:
Automatic notifications are a Pro feature, but you can try it free for 14 days. We’ve just reset the trial counters, so everyone can start a trial again :)
Fixes and enhancements
And of course no server update comes without fixes:
- Bug with setting a due date in Brazilian timezone (thanks @ Vanessa)
- Incorrect time stamp in the notification email (thanks @ Ralf)
- OpenAPI: added a possibility to refresh temporary authentication token
- 'Undo' after creating a new list with 'mm' popup now deletes the new list (thanks @Olli)
- Bug fixed: filter was reset unexpectedly on a list item focus
- Performance: speed up the hide completed mode
- Updated ‘Tools’ page and some minor design tweaks
- Fixed a bug with uploading a small logo file (thanks @Orson)
Integration with Evernote and other 350+ online tools via Zapier
All of us use different tools to get things done, to write, to brainstorm, etc. Today we announce an official integration with Zapier, a platform for integrating more than 350 online tools.
The idea behind Zapier is simple and brilliant. You use one online tool and you want it to automatically communicate with another. To do that you select from available actions and create a ‘recipe’ or ‘zap’ that describes what exactly the apps should do. Without writing a single line of programming code you’ve integrated different web apps.
Say, you use Evernote and would like to turn a note into a Checkvist list item. Or otherwise, you use Checkvist and would like to send certain list items as notes to Evernote.
For that we’ve just created two ‘zaps’ — one sends a note from Evernote to a Checkvist list, and tags it #evernote, and another one sends a list item from Checkvist to Evernote, and tags it #checkvist. Here’s a short demo:
You can create your own ‘zaps’, connecting Checkvist to other applications you use, like Basecamp or GitHub or Asana, or more than 350 others.
It’s our second take on the ‘integrations’ frontier (after the Dropbox integration for list back-ups, and sure not the last one. Hope you find it useful!
On taming large lists
Beginning of September, the time when to-do lists grow as if by themselves. Here are three techniques to make them shorter and more usable:
Filter out the list of tasks you’re going to work on right now. Use @assignee, ^time, or #tag. Don’t forget about useful shortcuts ^now (comprises overdue, today, tomorrow, and asap tasks) and changed: (shows items that were changed during today, yesterday, or another time period).
2. Focus (hoist)
Select a list branch and press Shift-Right to focus on it, and hide the rest of the list. Shift-Left to see all list again.
If you feel that a part of the list deserves to become a separate entity, or if you want to change that part’s permissions — simply extract it as a new list. Select the top list item in that branch, and press xx.
Since the end of August, when we got back from vacation, I find myself permanently using the first two techniques. Helps to see the outcome of the daily work — crossed out and long comparing to the rest of the list :)
Improved backup, Dropbox integration and some fixes
Fixing and improving is an inevitable and may be most pleasing part of the work. However small bug you fix, it gives an immediate ‘evidence of achievement’ ;)
So here’re some improvements, inspired by your constant feedback and advice.
30 day backup
We will now keep 30 backups of all your lists instead of 10. It means 30 days minimum, as Checkvist doesn’t keep two same copies of the lists (so if you didn’t change anything for a couple of days, you’ll have only one backup file, not three same ones).
Enable Dropbox integration to save the latest Checkvist backup (zipped OPML files) to your Dropbox folder. If you need an older backup file, you can always get it from the Dropbox history.
And if you’re a Dropbox Business plan user, you’ll have an infinite backup history.
- Changed the list ‘author’ to ‘owner’ and added a short explanation of Checkvist’s roles and permissions.
- Fixed problem with background colors + Markdown formatting.
- Do not focus a single list item without sub-items (when coming from search results or Due page).
- Selection position fixes
- Show cross cursor when Shift is pressed (drag-n-drop)
- Incorrect parent task completion when a child task is deleted
- Corrected the imported list item/s status
- When Checkvist page is open during day change, it is refreshed to update due dates presentation (yesterday becomes today, for instance)
- Fixed some visual glitches in Chrome when adding list items at the bottom of the list
- Improved support for non-US keyboards, as keyboard shortcuts 0 - 6 ? and / didn’t work correctly there.
As always, we would like all who help us make Checkvist a better tool. Guys, girls, we love working for you. We might be a bit slower on bugfixing nowadays, because Checkvist’s little mobile offspring takes most of the time. But we always hear you. So keep in touch :)
Yours Kir & Sasha